Some guys make it look easy to tie a tie, others tie themselves up in knots. There’s a knack to tying a tie though, especially if you want to create a traditional Windsor knot. Therefore, if you really want to know how to tie a tie and look smart afterwards read this blog and you’ll be the best at tying a knot.
- Find a decent mirror: You need to see what you are doing when you tie a necktie so find a good mirror that you can stand in front of to begin and make that your starting point. Next get a tie that you don’t mind practicing with, use something old and you won’t mind tying it and untying it a number of times.
- Grab the wide end: Start by taking the wide end of the tie and cross it over narrow end. Then take the wide end and slip it up between the loop and the collar and let it drop down again.
- Go left to right: Next take the wide end of the tie and wrap it behind the narrow end from left to right. You can then take the wide section in front of and over the loop between the collar and tie.
- Repeat step two: Wrap the wide end of the tie around the narrow section again and take it up through the loop one more time.
- Finish off with a knot: Finally you can drop the wide end of the tie through the knot and centre it before you give it a final tighten.
- Practice, practice, practice: It sounds complicated but the more you practice at tying a tie the easier it becomes. Okay, it might feel a little awkward when you first stand in front of a mirror but once you get the basics right you’ll be a champion tie tying expert in next to no time!